Tuesday, September 20, 2011

discipline

DISCIPLINE.....right now I very much despise this word!
      I am not a disciplined person in any context of the word. I am not disciplined to exercise, eat right, clean, do laundry, spend time with my family, or spend time with God. I would rather sit and read or watch a movie or knit. I'd rather go and hang out with a friend or go shopping. I'd rather sleep. I would rather do whatever I want to do, instead of what I should do.
     Being disciplined means doing something that is hard, something that you are not used to doing. It means change. It means falling and failing a few times. It means messing up. Maybe that's part of my problem. Deep down I am a perfectionist and I think that if I don't do it right the first time, then why keep trying? I also think that even though I don't like where I am (being not disciplined) I lie to myself and say, "I do like it here. It's comfortable, it's what I know. It's familiar." But that's a lie! It's not comfortable. I hate the way I feel when I walk into the kitchen and see a big pile of dirty dishes. I feel terrible when I yell at the kids and feel so rushed in the mornings, only to realize I didn't even say good morning to God, let alone spent some time in His word.
     As much as I despise the word discipline, I don't want to. I want to love the word and every aspect of it. I want to love the challenge of it and I want to desire to be disciplined in every area of my life. There is no way I can do this except with God's help. I have the verse Hebrews 12:11 written on a note card posted to my kitchen cupboard. Some days are easier than others to look at the verse and claim it and desire it, but God is working on me!

No comments: