Sunday, May 17, 2009

Growing Up

My high school youth leader and his wife and kids moved to a different state to serve in a different ministry about maybe 9 or 10 years ago. I didn't keep in touch with them at all. They moved and I graduated and just lost touch. I would get updates once and awhile from his sister whom I got to know pretty well after high school. Then a few years later she got married and moved away and I lost touch with her. (Man, what kind of friend am I?) But I just recently found her online, even though we haven't talked much. All that history to say that their mother passed away and went home to be with her Lord a few days ago. I went to the viewing today and so many feelings and emotions came over me as I was standing in line for over an hour. (many people came to give their condolences and show their love. She was a wonderful lady and she touched so many lives.)
*How fast time goes. My youth leader's daughter was 4 or 5 maybe when they left and saw her today and I can't believe how grown up she is.
* I saw friends from high school and many memories came back.
* I thought about other friends from high school and how much I miss them.
* I thought about my grandma who is very sick and what my mom and her sisters are going
through physically and emotionally.
* I kept thinking that I am getting older. I am now a parent and my parents are the
grandparents and pretty soon my sisters and I are going to be the ones who have to take care
of and make decisions for elderly parents. Not too soon, but sooner than later. Every day I am
being reminded that I am a "Grown Up" Most days I don't like to think about it. I still want to
be a kid I think. I want my parents to make all the hard decisions and choices. I don't want to
be the responsible on, caring for kids and a husband and a house. It's scary. I'm almost 30,
I've been married for almost 10 years, and have been a mother for almost 8 years, but I still
feel like a kid. But I'm not...I'm a "Grown Up!!" When will it sink in? When will I feel like this
is real?
So when I finally got to my youth leader and his sister all I could do was cry. I don't know why. I guess I realized that in fact I am growing up. I realized how terribly I miss them. I don't think in high school I really knew how much of an impact he had on my life. I thought, how sad that it takes a funeral to connect with old friends. But God knew that this was how we were going to connect. So now it's a matter of staying connected!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

You're not alone in "growing up." I think it's a life-long process! Thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog....it's so good to hear from you! I've been wondering how you're doing :)

Karen Hossink said...

Heather, thank you for your kind words on my blog. I am so pleased to know that God is speaking to your heart through the words He puts in mine!
As for this growing up thing? Oh, my! My daughter just turned 13. I'm 37. And there are many days I totally do NOT feel like I am "grown up" enough to be a mother! I walk around thinking, Who thought I was big enough to have these children? How am I supposed to know what to do? I still feel like a kid!!!That's one of the reasons I am so very thankful for the grace of God. Every day - somehow - He gives me the grace I need to make it through. No matter what, He will always be my Father - and that makes me an eternal kid, I guess. *grin*
Loving Jesus,
Karen